Wednesday, December 20, 2006

The Naughty Piano Player

Reading Hsin Ni's latest entry reminds me of how eager I was to play piano during my university life. I still remember I was sent to Multimedia University, Malacca Campus in year 2001. I was very excited as it was the first time I was so far away from home for 1 year. Yeah no parent's supervision and I was... basically FREE!!!

In my university, there is a piano in the Multi-Purpose Hall. Sometime, the hall will be open and students like us may go in and play on the piano. Imagine thousands of students are there in the campus, it is not always easy to get the chance to play on the piano. So normally I never thought of going to play piano in the hall.

Not until the last two trimesters for my foundation year. I suddenly very eager to play piano. I often went to check if the hall is open. And if it is, I would walk into the hall and play. Sometime my friends would follow. I even brought some of my scores from Kelantan so that I could play more songs. I never practice new songs. Just be there and play my favourite songs. Basically showing off!

Then I remember before the final exam of the second trimester, I went into the hall during the day to unlock the back door so that I could play piano in the night. Then later at night. I was studying or doing revision with my friends. After having supper, we suddenly thought of going to play the piano. Yes! I forgot how many of us sneaked into the multi-purpose hall in the middle of the night! It was 2am if I am not mistaken. We got into the hall, turned on the dim light and played the piano. The atmosphere was romantic. It was really cool to play piano in the silent night. The piano sounded so much different at night. Perhaps because of the quietness and calmness of the night. While we were enjoying, we were shocked by the urgent knocks on the door. Then we realised the security guards had heard us.

We quickly turned off the light and got out from the hall through the back door. Yes the door was opened and the security guards found us. They asked for our student ID and we are to be reported at the security office the next morning. Gosh, we were so in trouble! That night I could hardly sleep. I thought I might be expelled from the university for breaking into the multi-purpose hall. Beside, I was the one who unlock the door during the day.


The next morning, I chant for awhile and went to the security office with my friends who were involved. We were there to meet the security officer. We waited for a few minutes and the officer's secretary came and met us. We were told that the officer was not around that day and she basically scolded us and scared us that we might be blacklisted and would be having problem finding jobs later bla bla bla... And yeah, we were truly scared. Well, I was frightened! Then we need to pay RM 25 for the summon. Oh we got a receipt for that too. Reason for being summon : Break into the Multi-pupose hall! I suffer from anxiety for around one whole week scaring that the security guards might found out that I was the one who un-lock the door during the day. There might be CCTV in the hall bla bla bla... Gosh I was a pessimist! Then my friend helped me to figure out there was no CCTV etc and that I don't need to worry.

I swore I would never do that again in my life!

Yeah right, guess what, during my final year last trimester (I was in Cyberjaya campus), my friend persuaded me to go the music room (which was not locked) and play on the electric piano without permission. When we got out of the room, the person on duty caught us and request for our student ID number. I was having depression that time. So, that incident never really affect me much. It does make me anxious for awhile but I was more depressed over other things. So I got over it very quickly. Luckily we were not called for any security officer or received any summon. Thank goodness!

All in all, playing piano was my passion. Even though I hardly have the chance to play piano now, I would never stop playing whenever possible. I plan to have my solo piano diploma exam next year. You bet I vow to make it happen!

No comments: