Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Jazz/Swing Night with JAVA Five


I was lucky to have the opportunity to attend a vocal concert by JAVA Five last night. A German vocal group consist of five members. All male voice with one guitarist. I forgot how many songs they have sung but I really enjoyed the show. It was interesting to see them not only singing songs in the 20's or 30's, but they also use their voice to imitate music instruments such as bass, trumpet and trombone. I was deeply impressed by how well they can imitate the music instrument and how natural they can sing. They basically enjoyed themselves on the stage and we enjoyed watching them performing, even though I didn't really get some of the jokes they made last night in between their songs. It doesn't really matter, actually.

I still remember how funny the bass sound while the other were basically telling stories through their voices and also acts. I wonder how they practice. It was as though they performed spontaneously without any rehearsal. It was natural. The way they moved and responded to each other were so natural and true. And I love that. They did not look awkward or very-much-prepared. Or perhaps they were spending so much time together and practising together that even a single wink of the eye they could understand each other very well and responded accodingly. That's very artistic! Not to mention their music instrument imitation had made the whole performance much richer and more lively! Oh they even did tap dance! Great great performers!

Since I have to wait for my dad, I stayed there after the show and enjoyed the refreshment provided. And I thought I could take the chance to have an exchange with the performers. Unfortunately I did not have the chance to talk directly with any of the performers. Too many people there and I were kind of exhausted to even start a conversation. However, I got the chance to listen some of the conversation between the performers and other people.

I got to know that the group has been established for 6 years. Still a young group, isn't it? They live in a small town. So all the single guys or bachelors basically know each other. The passion for music has got them together. And they found that the music during early 20's or 30's are very nice, but it seems like those kind of swing music has faded away. So they thought of keeping that music alive by re-introducing it to the people through their performance. That's how JAVA Five is born. And they don't really practice together everyday. They sort of have sectional practice on their own and come together once a week to practice or rehearse together for around 6 to 7 hours.

So they have the passion, they have the mission and they have the objective that keeps them going. As a member of Renaissance Choir, somehow I wonder where have our passion, mission and objective been going? Have we forgotten or still holding them tightly? I wonder...

Anyway, I got to take some photos with the performers before I left. Something to remember though... Nice!

No comments: