Monday, February 05, 2007

National Classical/Art Song Competition

Last weekend my main focus was on the National Classical Song Competition. Sook Siah took part in the competition. Being a friend of hers, I gave my full support. I attended the semi-final at 陈氏书院 on Saturday night when Sook Siah sang "七月的草原" and IL BACIO. She said her performance that night was not her best. Interpretation wise ok, but voice projection was a bit "unusual".



Then I also attended the final on Sunday night when I got to see both male and female voice competition. It was a good exposure to me. This is my first time attending such competition. I have to admit sitting there listening to those classical/art song can be very boring at time especially when we don't understand what the singers are singing about. But some can be very interesting. Especially female voice. Their song are more impressive and attractive. Male voice song tends to be a bit dull and boring.

Sook Siah sang "假如你要我唱一首歌" and The Jewel Song. The first song I like it very much. I think I first heard the song few years back in GCC. Sook Siah sang very calmly and steadily. I can't say it was her best performance that night as well. I think she still can do better. Anyway, I am sure she tried her very best. It reminds me of how difficult it is to be in the art and music career. How many hours of practice and endurance we have to sacrifice, not knowing if anyone will really see it and appreciate. Sigh...



Watching so many good singers singing in the competition, I hope I can sing as well as they do. It's like everytimg I watch piano recital, I hope I can play as good as the pianist. Perhaps the purpose of attending such event is to motivate us to do better in whatever we can do. It's not so easy to be a multi-talented person. Yeah I know how to sing, I know how to play piano, I know how to... But which one am I really good at?! I think none of them. Again, I shall choose one and really make myself good at it. I chose piano! Gosh, I haven't practice my exam pieces... (X_X)'''

No comments: