Sunday, January 14, 2007

The Soka Spirit (Part 1)


As usual, I have dinner together with my family on this normal Sunday evening. The only different was that my sister and brother were not there. Sister just got back home from Pangkor and my brother was still with his girl friend at Muar. So only my parents and I.

Having only three of us won't stop us from chatting or talking over our daily life. As long as my mom is there, we will talk. I must admit she is the dialogue expert in our family. She will talk whenever possible. I wonder if every mother is like that. I guess every female loves to talk. They were born to talk. Hahahaha... Anyway, I am glad my mother like to talk. And when she talks, I always learn. And each time, even though it is the same topic, I will learn something new. And in this dinner we talk about Soka Spirit.

Realising that I have limited time on blogging, and there a lot to introduce about, I guess I will need to seperate this entry into a few parts.

What's Soka Spirit?

A lifetime of creating value (创造价值的人生), that's soka spirit. It may sound simple. But do we really practice that in our daily life? I doubt so.

I was born in a Soka family. Following my parents, I practice Nichiren Daishonin's Buddhism since young. Never really understand what is the Buddhism all aboutback then, I just follow what was told and just be a part of Soka Gakkai Malaysia (SGM). I attended most of the discussion meet, study meet and other cultural activities. No doubt I was an active member of SGM back then when I was still in Kelantan.

I witnessed the growth and progression of SGM in Kelantan. Yes, last time there were only few members there. But the meetings were always very joyful and happy. Before we have any venue to hold a meeting, most of the meeting were held at my house. My parents would have to start the preparation for the meeting few hours before the meeting start.

My parents would chant first to pray that the meeting will go smoothly and successfully. After chanting, they will start clean up the house including sweeping floor, moving all the chairs, sofa, table, carpet to the store room. Carrying out the white board and marker pen. Then sometimes mom would prepare food for refreshment. All this would take I think about one to two hours. After everything is done, they would then excitedly wait for the arrival of the guest, oops, I mean the member. My house gate door would've opened widely.

I can't remember I helped my parents to do all the preparation. But I do remember that normally I would happily wait for the arrival of my friends. Yeah some member's children. Once a member arrive, my parents would happily greet them from a far and welcomed them with open arms. I will always remember the smile on my parents face. Sincere and sweet. Yes, the warmth. The warm feeling that will cast away all your fears and sorrows.

As usual, every meeting start with Gongyo and Daimoku, sing some songs, meeting and then guidance and then Sansho to end the meet. Then refreshment. Members will chit-chat while having the refreshment. By then we all the children will be sweating after playing. Yeah, we children have lotsa things to play then. Hide and seek, chasing around, "Ji Gong Pak", 205 etc. Not gonna mention all of them here. But everyone will be very happy and left my house with a smile on their face.

Time goes by, the number of members increased. We started to have Sokahan and Byakuren. These people will arrived earlier to welcome the members, similarly, with the smile on their faces. Of course I will have more friends to come over to my house and play. Hahahaha... And it'll be like having party in my house where all the members there and laughing and chit-chatting after meeting. Especially during some special event like SGM anniversaries etc.

One thing for sure, everybody comes and goes happily. The joy and laughter will be with them after the meeting.

1 comment:

-denise- said...

yeah~looking forward for your part 2. =p